Sunday, January 23, 2005

Profile, Ground Truth, and Quote.

This is a profile of a typical day of a sergeant in Afghanistan. Nothing glorious, he is just keeping his head low and doing his duty.

Here is a view of the ground truth. It is a bit down in the weeds, but for us it is a lifesaver.

Yesterday, I took it easy by running a few miles in the morning, knocking out a few push ups and going to the city center of Kaiserslautern. (From an American view point.) It was the first day I had off in 18 days. I went to St. Martin, Catholic Church to look at the architecture. While I was there the church organist was practicing, so I just sat down and enjoyed the impromptu concert.

Thirsty Nelly's in K-town, Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
After listening to the music, I stumbled up an outpost of civilization: Thirsty Nelly’s -an Irish pub. I thought I was back in Ireland, the bartender poured a good pint of Guinness and the Liverpool vs. South Hampton ('pool played like shite) game was on the telly. There were only four guys watching the game, but it was fun.

At halftime of the game, I headed in the center of the pedestrian area and saw the door to the Stiftskirche or a Lutheran church was open. It was bit plainer inside than St. Martins, but just as beautiful. A tour guide greeted me and between my bad German and his pantomime he explained the construction of the church. A German lady who has lived in K-town for years, walked in. She spoke English and German, so she translated and told me, that we were the only visitors of the church so far for the day. He also said that the reformation is over, that the Lutherans and Catholics are starting joint ecumenical services. He was a friendly gentlemen, invited me to a free concert at the church and gave me a map of the down town area.

A lot of stores in K-town were either closed on Saturday or closed between one or three in the afternoon. There were a few exceptions such as H and M and the Gondrom bookstore stayed open until 6:00 pm and it had a nice little coffee shop, so I wrote some letters, while drinking a few cappuccinos.

Last was dinner at Sprinnradl next to the bus stop at the Schiller Platz, It was built in 1740 and is one of the only remaining half-timber building in the city. I know that it is old, since I smacked my head on a ceiling beam. The food was good and not too expensive. It also is a pub/wine bar. Afterwards it was a bus ride back to the Kaserne.

I was trying out my new camera a Radio Shack Flatfoto. As you can see that the photos are ok quality, it has a problem that you can not adjust the camera for low light conditions. I might upgrade and get another camera that has higher quality of images. As the saying goes “you get what you pay for.”

Now the Patriots need to beat Steelers and I will be a happy camper at PT tomorrow morning.

Quote of the day: Don’t be PC, be right, efficient and decisive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Guv said...

Thirsty nellys was, i dont know if it still is, ran by an old freind of mine Ray. Many a night of mischief was to held by myself and ramstiens AF fire service at Rays thusty nellys. Its good to see the place again evan by way of a photo. The Harp round the corner good to ran by more friends of mine. I guess I befriended the drinking class however Jones and I suffered a hangover or two at Capone Barracks. Hope all forces are doing OK.

Best of luck

Craig

4:37 PM  
Blogger Guv said...

Thirsty nellys was, i dont know if it still is, ran by an old freind of mine Ray. Many a night of mischief was to be held by myself and ramstiens AF fire service at Rays thusty nellys. Its good to see the place again evan by way of a photo. The Harp, round the corner is good too. Ran by more friends of mine. I guess I befriended the drinking class however Jones and I suffered a hangover or two at Capone Barracks. Hope all forces are doing OK.

Best of luck

Craig

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home