Friday, February 04, 2005

Mail

The other day I received a care package in the mail from Wifey. It was a good sized box with lots of pogey bait (chocolate, twizzlers, beef jerky, starburst….) newspapers from home, magazines and other great items. When I opened the box a few soldiers were watching and joking that I should give them some of my treats and I did since some troops will never get any mail or gifts from “family” or “friends”. I feel bad for them so I figure sharing some of my gifts would be the only decent thing to do. We passed the newspapers and magazines around, so they will not have to burn their money on something that they would trash in a few hours.

A few troops commented that I am lucky that I have a wife that spent the money and time to send a care package in the mail and I should keep her around. I tell them that I will do everything in my power to do so. If you know somebody in the military, send them a letter in the mail. Email is great, but to receive a letter or package during mail call is special, because it symbolizes that somebody when out of their way to send you a little piece of home. When you are in the middle of nowhere, humping a rucksack, receiving mail can lift morale, trust me I know.

If you are willing to send a letter to a troop, email me and I will send you a name and address of a soldier. The military has stopped the program of delivering mail addressed to “any soldier.” It takes to much time and resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home