Saturday, March 12, 2005

Blogging, help, miss a call, Dutch and minger

Most of the time I try to write in the style of HS Thompson or Henry Rollins or as in parochial school it was described with distain as the extemporaneous or “stream of consciousness” writing mode. One advantage or disadvantage (depends on your values) that I have, is that I am a wimp when it comes to my consumption level of alcohol and the lack of mind altering chemical-hey I am in the Army and I get piss tested.

Most of the time I type ideas on to a MS word document that I store my USB stick and on my computer as a back up. Sometimes I access the internet at libraries or on unused computers, then I plug in my USB stick, pull up my “to blog” file and I am in business. Most computers today have MS word on it so MS word underlines misspelled words and some or the most grievous grammatical errors, this helps to make this blog a bit more readable. Then it time to access the internet, access blogger.com, log in and post.

I just received from my wife the book, The elements of style and the library on post gave away copies of the Oxford Essential Guide to Writing . I will start reading them as soon I finish Harry Turtledove’s Return Engagement (Settling Accounts Trilogy, Book 1). This should help the quality of the posts and make this blog easier to read.

I am trying to find blogs from Afghanistan and troops who serve there, but they are hard to find. If you know any, please post their URL to the comments section. Thanks!

Sometimes it is good to miss a call on your mobile or cell phone


Guess who is next with more troops? The Dutch. These troops will join the British SAS, Norweigan Commandos, French and US SF. I think this is the result of these troops.


This is totally unrelated to anything on this blog except that it is funny in a warped and Irish way. At least you will be able to curse and use the word “minger” properly. It is not for children.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Since Sgt. Hook signed off, I haven't been able to find much from bloggers as far as Afghanistan is concerned. There is SF Alpha Geek (http://sfalphageek.blogspot.com/)

He has some good stories from his tour in the 'Stan, but I do not believe he is currently deployed.

If I come across any, I'll be sure to let you know.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Btw, looks like you're going to have quite the multinational force!

5:16 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Also, came across this blog over at Instapundit, among other places.

http://afghanwarrior.blogspot.com/

Its a blog run by an Afghani citizen.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Not a blog, but Combined Forces Command just launched a new website on 3/1/05.

http://www.cfc-a.centcom.mil/

All the info has been previously available scattered throughout several sites, but now it's all in one place.

Makes it much easier to find the info.

CaliValleyGirl's boyfriend just arrived in the 'stan..her blog is here: http://calivalleygirl.blogspot.com/

She sent me a link to a Guardsman blogging from Ghazni, but I don't have the info on this system..sorry

Here are a couple of others I've run across.

NGO worker in Kabul
http://brendan.scottishclimbs.com/

Afghan in Kabul
http://sanjar.blogspot.com/

Opinions may vary.. :)

Hubs has been in Afghanistan since last May, we're finally on the countdown to redeployment. :)

Good luck to you..

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home