Saturday, May 07, 2005

Time, accessorize, ride and quote

All military uses Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in Afghanistan. One of the weird things that about being deployed to Afghanistan is that the local time is four and half hours a head of GMT. Just like in London. So I get up a 1:00Z and eat breakfast by 2:00Z and the day rolls by. It takes a week or two to get used to, but I carry a cheat sheet with both local and Zulu time next to each other, so when I talk to Afghans I can convert their time zone to Zulu or GMT.

What holster should I accessorize with my pistol? I had an issue to deal with. What type of pistol holster would I use? One school of thought was to use a modern version of the old western gun slinger that is held into place hanging off the hip and strapped off the thigh. One disadvantage is that I would loose the use on one cargo pocket on my pants or when I ride in a helicopter or other vehicle it can be hard to pull out while sitting.

So what is my other choice is? Get one that hangs off my shoulder. That is better, but when worn with IBA or Individual Body Armor it can hard to access when needed. Also the straps can dig into your shoulders when not wearing IBA. This is one dilemma that I will have to experiment to solve.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One of the M-998's that that is around here.
Quote: Do you want to get PUC'ed?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice pic of the Humvee...looks pretty badass.

What would look even more badass are two .45s across the chest, Pancho Villa style. There's the solution to your holster dilemma, I think. :-p

11:15 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

You might try getting a tactical holster that hangs from a pistol belt and straps to the thigh. It allows for quick drawing and doesn't get in the way. Also, very cool Humvee.

5:42 AM  
Blogger bavikati said...

Good start of the Humvee. I think the final touch should be flames painted down the side. : )

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jerzy said...

can't find an "E" address to tell you that you're more interesting than me! ;-) (your profile!)

Great humvee pic - I only had a jeep without a key

wordpark.com

5:43 AM  
Blogger Special Forces Alpha Geek said...

If you think you'll need to draw the pistol while you're in a vehicle (like a HMMWV) get a chest rig and strap it to your IBA.

Alternately, get a thigh rig and a second holster that you can jerry-rig solidly into the dash of the TC's seat. You have to remember to grab the gun whenever you get out, though, so it's kind of a pain.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home